Sunday, October 21, 2007

Life continues....

Life just continues to fly along! Adding another baby has been such of a joy!!! I forget though just how quickly nursing, changing diapers, and just snuggling a newborn can make time fly. It feels like I have so little time to do anything else, especially get on here! I still have to say though that I have just loved having this baby.

We were out of town this weekend, visiting my hometown about 2 1/2 hours away. We stayed this time with a childhood friend's parents. My friend was also there with her husband and 6 kids. She had a baby about 3 weeks before we had ours so it was fun to have the 2 newborns there together. My kids fell fast and hard in love with "Mummu" and "Pappa"..they are Finnish and go by Finnish nicknames for grandma and grandpa. They have an old farmstead with a house that has to be about 100 years old and has all the fun little nooks and crannies that I remember wishing to be able to explore when I was a kid visiting there and now our kids were wishing they could explore!

This family grew up speaking Finnish and I always remember becoming quite determined that some day I was going to learn Finnish fluently and be able to fully understand and converse with them in Finnish when I visit there. My mom and dad both grew up learning Finnish but never taught it to us as a first language; we learned a lot of words and phrases in Finnish but the fall after I graduated from high school I went to Finland for a year and attended a school there. There I became really pretty fluent in Finnish and have been able to keep it up pretty well. My husband's family is from Finland, he was their first one born here. They grew up with Finnish as their first language so now I hear it on a regular basis..we even taught our first 2 daughters Finnish and they were very fluent but then as our oldest realized that most of her friends and cousins spoke English, she refused to converse in Finnish anymore. We eventually gave up speaking it with them so now they only know some words and phrases but I know that they would learn it very quickly then if they someday chose to spend some time in Finland. So, all in all we had a very fun, relaxing weekend, visiting them and my family, and of course, enjoying an old, outdoor sauna one crisp, cool evening.

Now my husband just left for.....Nebraska! If you read a couple of my old posts, you will realize that this is quite the accomplishment for me to actually remember where he went this time right away instead of doing the "...Tennessee (which he never goes to), Idaho (never goes to), Iowa..?..Illinois (he flies into but drives to a neighboring area...can't remember town or state)...?...." I don't know why I am so challenged in this area but I am!!! So onward goes our fast-paced life, spinning, spinning sometimes out of control, sometimes just a mind-boggling but do-able pace!

3 comments:

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. Cool that yo speak another language so well. I took a little German in high school and only really learned a few phrases. Too bad kids don't see things the way we do... one day they may want to learn.... :-)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Hey I just realized that you cahanged the "name" of your blog... I like it!

Darla said...

Thanks! I was half asleep when I thought of it last night...I was trying to get the last couple kids to sleep, had baby on my chest trying to get her settled and totally felt like I could just feel my life flying out of control as I just reclined on my bed, unable to just get up and get stuff done! I don't really stress about it but was just more reflecting upon my day and last many weeks and just really feeling the urge to start getting caught up again with everything but at the same time feeling the weight of all my mom responsibilities literally holding me to one spot! :)