Sunday, June 26, 2011

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

I haven't blogged for so long, I have to check if I still know how!

I've had an eventful while now. In the beginning of May I signed up for this twice/week boot camp with a friend, Kathy, to whip myself back into shape since I hadn't so much as taken a walk since my baby had been born. There are 8 classes per month. I made it faithfully to the first 5 in May, then for some reason or another, missed the last 3. I was SO bummed!

Well, I decided in June I'll make another go at it and combining this class with Weight Watchers, I will be sure to have a good start to a very sound and healthy life...I made it to the first 2 classes, then my baby got very sick for a week straight. She had very high fevers that kept me up day and night....not straight but I was up so often at night I hardly felt like I slept. During the course of that week, I noticed that I started to have plugged milk ducts on the right side but was able to unplug them here and there with hot packing nursing. Soon I had some red streaking but that would nearly go away when the ducts would unplug. Finally, on Sunday, I realized that the severe aches and pains I had been feeling for awhile were the signs of an impending infection. That night I began burning with fevers and the next morning I called an OB doc to get started on antibiotics.

Long story short: the fevers kept up in the 103's mostly, up to 104, despite the fact I kept myself continuously medicated with Advil and Tylenol round the clock. Finally, Tuesday night I became severely nauseated and began the slow road to dehydration and starvation (or so it felt like) due to the inability to eat or drink anything. By Wednesday, I called the doc and they said it's time to be seen...I, from there, got sent to the hospital and stayed in there through the following Sunday. I didn't respond to IV Vancomycin, which is very strong. So, the oral antibiotic failed, the first IV antibiotic failed....I didn't have an elevated white count, the right side wasn't even warmer than the left, although it was flaming red, swollen, etc. It got the OB doc in the hospital thinking it could be breast cancer. She got a breast surgeon involved, who also said that breast cancer can present in a way similar to breast infection. I had a breast biopsy Saturday morning, which was negative for cancer *whew*.

So, needless to say, I haven't been able to participate in my boot camp all month after the first two classes. I have been so bummed but what do you do? I've lost weight but also muscle mass and such. I'll have to just focus on keeping my nutrition where it should be and when my strength is back, I'll begin working out again!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

My goodness....I'm so glad that you got yourself to the hospital and that it was not cancer. I hope you're feeling better now. :) Take care!!